Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 56

Thread: Amplifier Suggestions too!

  1. #11
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Under these conditions I guess thats why they (others) made instrument (guitar) amplifiers where clipping was desirable. I suspect you know that. Additionaly
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Don't tell that to "The Greatfull Dead". They used McIntosh amps for years. In fact at one point they were a McIntosh dealer because they bought so many of them. As far as I know Mac never produced a pro amp.

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Amplifier Suggestions too!


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Saying Macs aren't Pro amps is kind of quibbling semantics. For years they were used in laboratories. I feel at least the higher end offerings I would consider for the day pro amps.

    The line between Pro and Hi-fi was somewhat blurred until the 70's or so.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree..the only point I was making is that SOME home amps like Mac...were more durable then MOST pro-amps. Earlier Mark Levinson amps were also built like tanks. And even though my Crown PL-4 amp was considered a home amp is was almost the same design as their PS-400 pro amp..and just as durable.

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    For large venues or touring. If using Altec 817
    cabinets with large horn cabinets then you need
    something of quality and portable like Crown Macro tech amps.They are costly but are well design and sound good.

    4


    .....................................

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member gvasale's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2005
    Location
    Webster, Ma
    Posts
    215
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Funny thing about McIntosh. I discovered they powered electronic carillons made by I T Verdin. Couldn't believe it!

  6. #16
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Amplifier Suggestions too!


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Macro Techs are okay, but by today's standards nothing special. Pretty old school.

    Lab Gruppen makes some wonderful stuff. That's what powers our "A" rig now.

    Crown builds amps that are superior to the Macro Techs also. I looked at them But I thought the Lab Gruppens sounded better.

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    I have to see what new products are available and listen to to them.

    Thanks for the info.

    ...................................

  8. #18
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Post

    What am I missing here?
    I put together one of the most efficient
    setups known to man and now I need 500 watts a
    channel to drive them? When the speakers are rated
    for 75 watts? With a larger mouth than the 817a
    they are even more efficient...discarded the
    reflex port, constrain the bottom to 80Hz
    and yet I need a thousand watts to drive the pair?
    I was thinking a 200 watt per channel amp would be plenty overkill...and would probably blow out the
    windows before I ever get em cranked halfway.

  9. #19
    Inactive Member scott fitlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2003
    Posts
    495
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Steve, the JBL 2242 is used in Bertha folded horns, these are massive monester sized folded horns, ans with the extension, the nmouth of the horn measures 8ft wide. Then, its called a Levan Horn, each cabinet has two JBL 2242,s in it, and the amp of choice for this cabinet is the Crown 3600.

    Im using two Crown 3600,s on 4 double 18in ported boxes, JBL 2242 loaded, and it works really well.

    One 2242 on each channel of the 3600 is 800w a driver, and thats a match.

    The only thing is the 3600 requires a dedicted 30amp breaker and receptacle.

    But sonically, the combination is a home run!

  10. #20
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Uh!
    For the 515 16 .75 watts x 2= 150 + 2 = 300 watts.
    You have 2 per cabinets .

    An amp with 300 watts of power is what your looking for.

    Either one of these models makes a 300 W/channel amp.

    ..............................

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.